Monday, July 8, 2013

Feeling brave: Travelling with kids

Excitement is building over our big summer holiday in a few weeks’ time.

It’s the first time we’ve travelled away from Ireland as a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids).

It’s the first holiday we’ve had in a year.

My 5 year old is telling everyone he’s “going on a cruise ship”. We can but dream about that kind of holiday one day….
 

My 3 little kids have never been on a boat before. They’ve seen one from a distance - occasionally we see the big boats pulling in and out of Cobh from across the water where we live. 

I think they’re more excited about the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead than the actual holiday itself. I love that kids can’t see beyond the journey so they obsess about what it’s going to be like being on a big boat!


Stena Line here we come...

I’m excited for them. Seeing the world through small kid eyes strips me back to the joy of travel and experience.

The last time I went on a Stena Line ferry I was leaving behind my life in the UK and driving to a new life in Ireland, to settle down and start a family. Seven years on, I’m taking my family back – albeit only for a week. I was nervous about what the future would hold last time. This time, I’m going to enjoy every moment of my children’s excitement as they explore the ‘big boat’ as they keep calling it and we look out for land. Does anyone have any tips for going on ferries with small children? I’m a little bit scared of them trying to climb over the barriers?! Are there places you can keep kids safe?

I’m planning lots of fun for them when we’re in Wales. Seeing their cousins from Manchester is a biggie for them as well. I told them their might have an opportunity to camp last night, and their little eyes widened in excitement.

I can’t wait to revisit a holiday camp I once worked at for a whole summer during my university days. It used to be Butlins but now it carries the classy name Hafan y Môr. We’re heading there for a day trip too.


Post a Comment

2 comments:

  1. I can't offer any advice but I did enjoy reading about your kids' excitement, it takes me back too!!! I hope ye have a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excited for you all - hope you have a ball!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...