Monday, February 24, 2014

NO MORE NAPPIES!


Last week I got a glimpse of the light at the end of the tunnel.

My youngest, of 2 years 9 months, finally cracked the complexities of wearing pants and using a potty.

It's a lightbulb moment. A milestone that I've looked forward to for six years; a day I never thought would come; a day to be celebrated I think: the end of changing nappies, all day, every day.

I was at my wits' end for six years changing them… in my sleep, changing them on floors, car seats, knees, tables and beaches. Everywhere.

You don’t think about it until you’re in the middle of it. Then suddenly life becomes all about nappies and stinky, disgusting poo lingering under your fingernails, and bins overflowing until you drown in nappy quicksand and darkness descends. 

I have changed more crappy nappies over the last six years than I care to recall. Six years at an average of four nappies per day - could it really be as much as 8,760 nappies? It's a depressing calculation. Kids, they don't half make us wasteful !

And don't even get me started on wipes!

Finally, the nappy mountain is drying up (just night-time now) and the wheelie bin is getting lighter. At one time, we effectively had 3 kids in nappies and the wheelie big was back-breaking. 



What has replaced nappies is altogether more messy – with poocanos that explode as far as socks, resulting in every item of clothes having to be binned. Discovering puddles all over the house and stinky potties that I didn't know toempty that leave rooms smelling like men's urinals. He doesn't tell us when he's going on the potty, so an investigation into where he's sat after not wiping his bum can lead to unpleasant discoveries of poo-stained furniture. That's the next hurdle to overcome.

There's also a new nervousness when I go out, nagging the poor little fella every five minutes if he wants a wee. 

He's coping rather well with the change. He's becoming less of a baby and more of a boy. And it's lovely to watch him grow into such a strong and capable little person. 

My lovely Lorcan, well done my clever boy, you are making me very proud. 

Thank you for allowing the light to shine through the end of the tunnel. 


 






Post a Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...