Sunday, January 26, 2014

Killing off the High Heel


A big cheer to Emma Thompson for taking a stand against the expectation of women to dress up in towering heels that could destroy both your body and soul.
 
After picking up several acting awards barefoot recently, she proclaimed: "I've taken my heels off as a feminist statement really, because why do we wear them? They're so painful. And pointless. You know, I really would like to urge everyone to stop it. Just stop it. Don’t wear them anymore. You just can't walk in them."

A second time she carried a pair to the podium and flung them over her shoulder, declaring: "I just want you to know, this red, it's my blood (referring to the devil red soles on the Louboutin shoes)."




Go Emma! I’m loving your campaign against the cruelty of high heels. From one comfort-loving female to another, you rock!

I’ve never been able to understand why people wear heels. I think I tried, age 15 in the mid-80s, somehow ending up with a pair of white stilettos – which was the chav shoe of the day in deepest, darkest south Yorkshire. But I couldn’t walk and they hurt like hell, so I ditched them without a second thought and stuck to my favoured Doc Martins, infinitely more practical. 

Horrible, most horrible

About 10 years later, Sex and the City happened and suddenly fashion-victim women were becoming obsessed about Jimmy Choos and Manolo Blahniks, celebrities starting over-glamming and designer culture replaced common sense. Fast forward another 15 years and thankfully common sense is coming back. Doc Martins are back in the shops and young girls are going grunge again.

The high heel commercial conspiracy against women is finally being rejected for the ridiculous misogynistic nonsense it is.

Today's Observer, possibly the most farcical picture of heels ever!

Fact: high heels are bad for your health. Doctors says they raise women’s risk of serious medical conditions, including arthritis, trapped nerves, spine and muscle damage. Studies have found that almost nine in 10 women have blisters, cracked heels, verrucas, corns and ingrowing toenails caused by ill-fitting fashion shoes.

If you're in heels you can't run fast, you can't even walk properly, therefore it makes women more helpless and vulnerable. The only empowering benefit I can see is that if you’re being attacked, then at least the heel can be used as a deadly weapon.

I love the fact that even Sarah Jessica Parker (Sex And The City) has given up heels after a foot doctor told her: “Your foot does things it shouldn’t be able to do. That bone there…You’ve created that bone. It doesn’t belong there.”

And looks-obsessed Victoria Beckham is having surgery on mangled feet covered in bunions caused by years of towering shoes.

Let’s hope this killer heel obsession is just an idiotic blip in the history of women and that girls of today will reject the dumb, teetering insanity that has destroyed the feet of millions of superficial women during the last two decades.


**************

What do you think? Are you still in favour of them? Have you ditched them in favour of comfort? Or have you always hated them?



Post a Comment

1 comment:

  1. That is simply disturbing about Sarah Jessica Parker. I'm not sure I'm entitled to an opinion considering I am in wellies or trainers 99% of the time, you can't be digging the garden or chasing children in high heels! But, I am also going to a wedding soon and my sister told me to buy heels!!!!! I bought low ones, wouldn't be able to manage stilettos under any circumstance, the shoes with heels that I have are mostly wedge style. Hmmmm...I might buy a pair of stilettos and keep them as a weapon though!! I loved this, Amy and well done to Emma Thompson.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...